View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2015, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
I don't know why so much car hate. The car is not going anywhere for a very long time. Hence why it's in the 90 percentile of people who use it. There's a reason traffic in Portland is getting worser and worser. I think it's rated like the 9th or 10th worse traffic in the nation. Instead of addressing it (like expanding freeway lanes) we instead try to hide it.
Not car hate. Incoherent planning. They are going to put in tons of car parking in a place that should be planned as low car, near a transit nexus.

The solution to traffic is not more car capacity. That induces demand. Parking or highway expansion. The solution is to maintain what we have and strategically put on diets roads to help pedestrians and bikes. Then we need to realign the budget to heavily invest in transit and imposing density along transit corridors.

I'm talking about rerouting enough money so that roads can be simply maintained and we can add a subway. We shouldn't be reconfiguring an interchange in the Rose Quarter if we can vastly improve traffic with better transit.

I know this refrain will be continued over and over, but traffic is worsening at a lower rate than if we didn't have the transit we already have. There's been a plateau of per-capita demand. We have increasing population-- what we need is world class transit.