Thread: Snout Houses
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:55 AM

I've been seeing more and more of these snout houses here in Delaware on infill lots in postwar subdivisions.

I don't mind the suburbs at all; in fact, I own a postwar ranch house. I don't need a lot of land and I don't need a lot of interior space. I don't have a garage, but if for some reason I wanted to build on, I could attach one to the side of the house, or build a free-standing one in the back yard, like has been done in countless other postwar neighborhoods.

But these houses seem way too strange to me. Is someone's need for garage space so high that they are willing to sacrifice windows that look out onto the street? Doesn't anyone want rooms with windows? (This goes into another peeve of mine, which is people who keep curtains closed or blinds down during the day, and then turn on lights. You have free lighting already, and you're blocking it out!)

Then look at these houses and how their side walls are so bare. There are almost no windows at all. Why not just build townhouses then?

I would much prefer what I have: a small house on a small lot with natural light in every room, and a small, but usable front yard and back yard. I could expand my ranch house upward, if I ever wanted to, and I could build a one-car garage on the property if I wanted to as well.