View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

What would you do though, amalgamate services at one of the existing airports or build an entirely new one in Sussex. The Sussex option would likely cost at least a half billion dollars.

I can't see any government playing favourites with an existing airport now, or building a brand new airport......it would be political suicide!

The only logical place would be in the Sussex area. It is a shame that the Moncton airport had not been built 30-40 KM's west of the city instead of the 5-10 East that it is so that the commute would be under an hour for both Fred and SJ. I think if that were the case the argument could be made to close the other two. Unfortunately that is not the case and none of the airports will ever be closed unless it is for a centralized airport which virtually everyone agrees is the correct strategy.

With the state of the current economy this is obviously not something that is going to happen in the short term and may never happen.

I dont expect a centralized NB airport will ever happen, not enough of the population uses airports to warrant the cost, however we will never have proper air service until it does.