View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Winnipeg has quite a few buildings that are just the basements of grand churches that were started but never completed. I found this one at the intersection of Burrows and Andrews in Winnipeg back in 2012:

I literally remember riding the bus to preschool past that building every day, looking at it, and wondering why it was the way it was. Thanks for solving the mystery nearly 40 years later

Do you know which church it was originally intended to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
How did Guelph end up with such a bad ass Cathedral?

Completed in 1883, at the time Guelph had just over 10,000 people living in it and the surrounding area.

Guelph Fall by Doug Schaefer, on Flickr
That picture gives me cathedral jealousy. I know I've mentioned it before, but Winnipeg's main English language Roman Catholic cathedral (there is also a French language one in St. Boniface) is a bit underwhelming. It dates back to 1880 when Winnipeg was basically a frontier town, and was expanded in 1896 when Winnipeg was still a small city. It's a nice enough cathedral and has been well maintained over the years, but it's way smaller than what you would expect to see. I find it surprising that Winnipeg never got a bigger, newer, grander one after the boom during the years leading up to WWI.