View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:52 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Which kind of aligns with Crawford's point - Chicago is less "white ethnic" than NYC but more so than L.A.
I'd dispute this, although it's not a major point of contention with me either.

Are you basing your statement off of numbers (demographics) or perception? When I think of "white ethnics" in Chicago, I think "extremely Polish, legacy Irish Catholic (but more assimilated than Boston/Philly/NYC), relatively Italian, and a lot of sizable (though not large) eastern/southeastern European ancestries," the last group representing a drop in the bucket for such a large metro. Otherwise, German is far and away the largest ancestry, and there's a larger share of Dutch and Nordic ancestry compared to LA.

LA's got the Jewish/Armenian/Persian factor, and I'd say those cultures that are overtly "ethnic" as can be. If LA County (population 10.1 million) is about 6% Jewish, that means Jews account for 20-25% of the white population. And I'd think you'd be surprised at how many of LA's Armenians have held on to their ancestry (meaning they strongly identify as culturally "Armenian" and speak the language). The same goes for the Persian community. How many Chicagoans still speak Czech, Ukrainian, Croatian, etc?

β€” Jerome Bruner