View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
It’s not segregation they’re championing against. [B]It’s the idea that there’s something wrong when they walk into a neighborhood that's 70% latino. It’s these neighborhoods that they have in mind. Because they feel unsafe and uncomfortable accidentally wandering into these parts of the city because for one small moment, they're forced to actually think about what it’s like for whites to be a minority and it’s scary for them.
Or getting bent all out of shape because they hear another language other than English being spoken.

A year or two ago, there was a local news story here in LA, with footage caught on phone cam, about an old lady telling a mother and her adult son who were speaking Spanish to each other at a fast-food restaurant that "this is AMERICA, you're supposed to be speaking English!" And they were like "We do speak English." The mother was all upset too, telling the lady in a very thick accent, that she does speak English. I mean come on, that old lady wasn't part of the conversation, so why should she care what language another person is speaking? It upset me too, because my own parents don't speak English to each other when they're out and about; I would hate it if some random stranger went up to them and told them that 'this is AMERICA, you need to speak English.' I would want to say "Well this is LA. Here's some English: Fuck off. Is that better for you now?"

~ Charles Bukowski