View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
my maternal side is all northside german.

my paternal side is all southside irish.

the truth is that both sides have been in chicago for so many freaking generations now that these ethnic labels are just that, labels. they don't have much real meaning in my life.

when people ask me about my ancestry i always say "50% german, 50% irish, 100% chicagoan"
Which kind of aligns with Crawford's point - Chicago is less "white ethnic" than NYC but more so than L.A.

Quote:
no, there are still PLENTY of super-fan types out in the cop and firemen bungalow belt areas on the NW and SW sides. when you get into more blue-collar/tradesmen lines of work you'll still see a lot of that. a good friend of mine works for the gas company and several times i've hung out with him and some of his coworkers drinking after work, and my god, the accents are pure raw chicago gold! i kinda wish i had one, but a fake is a fake.
From what I can tell there's really only two white working class concentrations left in Chicago - the far NW (where there are a lot of Polish immigrants) and the cop neighborhoods around Beverley/Mount Greenwood in the SW.