View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:25 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Expense or not, I think it's kinda dumb not to serve the core of Chicago with HSR directly from other places. There at over half a million jobs down here, and most of the tourist things are down here. Forcing people to transfer at O'Hare just seems wasteful. Ideally, I guess, I think there should be stops at both downtown and O'Hare, but I guess very few get exactly what they want on large infrastructure projects.
Huh? No, the SNCF proposal included three lines into downtown along with the radial bypass (one from the north via MD-N, one from the southwest via CN/Heritage Corridor, and one from the southeast via Norfolk Southern).

Since SNCF proposed the Chicago-St. Louis link as a later phase, the southwest line does not show on their maps, but they do mention it in the text of the report.

The maps they provided only show the first phase, but even that is pretty clear on the point that there are two parallel routes through Chicago. In fact, the center-city alignment is the same color as the rural segments, indicating that the bypass is secondary.