View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 8:04 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4lsu View Post
How many shotgun houses does one city need? If we want to really save this city, we've got to start making things easier for developers. That's the only way we'll get new ideas going.
What do developers have to do with this? Both VA and Charity are government organizations planning to use Federal money to tear down neighborhoods. The private sector isn't involved, and last time I checked, Louisiana is a GREAT state in which to do business, with little regulation and GO Zone bonds handed out like candy. All New Orleans needs is a clear zoning and building approval process, and, you know, a market of people who WANT to live here.

Quote:
I'm not saying that we should just tear down anything anytime, but I think a project of this magnitude would justify the damage. These hospitals deserve modern facilities, but if we don't build it here, where would it go? It's not like there's just tons of empty land sufficient to construct a hospital on. But I guess that's my question: if not this plan, then where else would be better?
I dunno - how about on some of the many, many vacant lots? (shown in green) Also, why the hell do these hospitals need SO MUCH land? The new sites are at least 4 times the previous sites. Like in any dense city, these hospitals need to be more conservative with land, and build upward.