View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 12:15 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
I don't think people who aren't really familiar with Philadelphia realize just how many stone houses/structures exist in the city and it's suburbs...it's really beautiful...

could Philadelphia and it's suburbs have the largest collection of stone homes in the country? (does anyone know, or maybe someone would want to do a photo post with philadelphias stone structures)
I was going to mention that. That's some sweet stonework and I love houses built of rock. Is there any particular reason for the large number of rock buildings in that neighborhood? Here, you find a lot of rock houses and buildings simply because a lot of the ground is covered with rocks and you can either build walls, houses, or rock piles with those rocks if you intend on using that land for anything.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947