View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I don't think Ozone's points are valid and disagree with them. He tends to say he's "all for preservation" but never has an example of a building that he would rather protect than demolish, so it just comes off like one of those guys who says "I'm not racist but..." just before saying some incredibly racist thing. And the idea that only someone rich enough to buy every building they want to save has any right to call for alternatives or even feel melancholy about losing a building, that's just ridiculous.
Well, look you don't know me so I don't even know why you would make that analogy? Of course, in an ideal world I like to see the Marshall faithfully restored along with it's earlier context. But that's not the reality. It's going to be right next to a hulking sports arena, across the street from a multi story parking garage, office buildings, etc. Sure they could turn keep it intact and turn it into a boutique hotel, but that's not their vision and as I pointed out the area is not exactly charming enough to appeal to people looking for that. So at the end of day I'm supporting the Hyatt Place project because it will bring new life/energy to a currently depressing/deteriorated corner of downtown. AND the good thing is that the attractive historic facade is being saved! Do people have the right to lament the lost of the interior? I guess so. But how many people have actually seen the inside? I have been inside it. Can people suggest alternatives. Sure it's a free country. But their opinions, no matter how self-righteous, should not hold up progress. If we were talking about a truly historical and/or architecturally significant structure I would feel differently. But this ain't Penn Station.