View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 9:06 PM

I understand where dawg is coming from, but honestly, the Austin bar/music scene has always moved around...with the "dirty" sixth exception.

Since my freshman year at UT in '87.....the distinct areas I recall are:

-6th (since Pangaea to the "Big Rip") currently called "dirty 6th", but I'll always just call it 6th Street.

-Red River (I'd guess '88 to now- I remember seeing Will and the Kill (Charlie Sexton's brother) play a show in '88 on Red River, maybe RR was going before then

-the warehouse (I remember going to the Boat House in maybe 90's (I had a lot of gay friends, still do) then the Lizard Lounge, the Underground, then Mezzaluna/Cedar Street blew up the whole district.....so late 80's till now)

-W 6th (kinda started with Mother Eagans and Star Bar in 2000 to now)

-SoCo (kicked off with Ego's in the 90's -for me anyway- and really got popping after the wildly popular "First Thursday" got going...with Hotel San Jose and Jos becoming cool hangouts...and of course Continental wasn't alone anymore....still going strong)

-E 6th (If I recall Eastside Showroom was the spot that REALLY kicked the door wide open in 2008 is ongoing and growing like mad)

-Rainey St (Bridget opened up Lustre Pearl in 2009 that started the Rainey Boom- that was really never supposed to happen)

Those are the 7 distinct areas I remember and still frequent them all.

Who knows where the next wave will go, but I see this as a pattern. But again, nobody misses Liberty Lunch more than me....I get it. Then again, I've seen really cool "organic" districts pop over the years. Can't wait to see where the next one will spring up. One big problem of course is the rent is spectacularly high in the new buildings, and it may take a few years for landlords to get the rent right to attract new bars....some will try and most will fail. But supply and demand will settle that at some point. Landlords won't let them all sit empty for too long.