View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 11:33 AM

I don't think it's a bad design but it definitely needs a lot more work. It does nothing to highlight the old post office. The massing needs to pull back from it more. Unless of course if they rebuilt the old clock tower. Then that give the old building much more prominence.

The tower itself doesn't feel fully thought through. I can't understand why there is glazing in some places and the punched windows in others and then random balconies thrown in a few levels at a time. It needs a few more rounds of editing IMHO.

I'm also disappointed at the lack of any sort of crown or top for this building. It just ends. There are allowances in all of the new bylaws for decorative crowns and spires and such that allow buildings to push their heights to make them look better from a distance.

I was under the impression that because this is a heritage DA it sits outside of the usual centreplan and height limits. I was half expecting them to propose to rebuild the clock tower in exchange for some additional floors above the typical 90m heights we are seeing.