View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think there's been a bigger shift in quality and scale too. Downtown Dartmouth felt stuck in low gear for a long time, and only had a handful of substantial buildings. It would be like if there were a new top 10 list of towers being built in Halifax or something.

Another observation is that there are not a lot of non-major (multi-million sized) North American cities with a Dartmouth-like area outside of downtown. The Halifax area is getting a really good mix of neighbourhoods and is losing its "compact" feel (it used to be common for people to say Halifax is like a small town where you can wander around the nice parts easily on foot in a short period of time). But it will become more important to provide good transportation connections between these more extensive areas.
For a long time, I found it disappointing that while DT Halifax was being built up, right across the harbour, Dartmouth was being more or less neglected (save a couple of projects like King's Wharf, etc.).

I'm thinking now that this delay might actually improve DT Dartmouth. As Halifax is being built-out, there's now an opportunity - and lots of relatively prime lots available - for developers to engage in some higher-quality projects that might not have happened when there were still so many opportunities in Halifax. We'll see how it goes but this one makes a person optimistic.