View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I feel like we have this conversation every week. There are definitely some companies that will always choose the burbs because they better suit their business needs and management and employee preferences and lifestyles. Regardless of taxes and business climate. But there are definitely SOME companies that are dissuaded from locating in Philadelphia in favor of the burbs when they otherwise might locate here because of the tax and regulatory environment. It is not the only factor, but it can be the deciding factor for companies when balancing everything out. Not just big companies either, but many small and medium size companies. My firm is one of those. I know a number of others just in my social circle, altogether probably accounting for around 1,000 employees. It adds up.
The thing is the "regulatory" environment is something that is evolving in all large liberal cities. People often cite issues as if we are in a vacuum and every other large city is Utopian. Cities from NYC to San fran to Seattle have passed and will continue to pass "progressive" rules that the business community will generally oppose. This may not be an issue in the sunbelt- but it is is NE and West Coast cities, including many that are supposedly far more desirable than ours.