View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I dunno. I think blaming things like this on city wage and business taxes is too easy. IMO, the Philly-metro suburbs have very good infrastructure and very large business parks are located next to large communities and also within a 30-45 minute drive. So, you have people with skillset ready to fill the required positions of these companies that want to remain in the burbs. And, REITs still maintain and promote these business parks in the burbs. No matter how you cut it, it is still an attractive options for large companies to stay in the burbs in this metro area. This is a complex issues and no one size fits all answer will mitigate what we think we know.
I feel like we have this conversation every week. There are definitely some companies that will always choose the burbs because they better suit their business needs and management and employee preferences and lifestyles. Regardless of taxes and business climate. But there are definitely SOME companies that are dissuaded from locating in Philadelphia in favor of the burbs when they otherwise might locate here because of the tax and regulatory environment. It is not the only factor, but it can be the deciding factor for companies when balancing everything out. Not just big companies either, but many small and medium size companies. My firm is one of those. I know a number of others just in my social circle, altogether probably accounting for around 1,000 employees. It adds up.