View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:58 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
I live in the building, it's just a paintjob, new outside exhaust vents for every unit and all new black caulking around every window and seam to help weather proof the building.

They left the old windows which seemed like a huge missed opportunity because they are long past their lifespan and rattle with the slightest wind and are so drafty. They also should of replaced the balcony railings to modernize the building but just slapped thick coats of paint on them.

And they really should be investing some money in the common element hallways as many floors look REALLY bad!
Thanks! That's too bad they're doing a half-assed renewal, but it does look a thousand times better with the new paint. Good from far, far from good I guess.

I lived in a midrise in Burlington for a long time. Over the years different owners did some redecorating of the halls and common areas, new laundry machines, replaced the metal balcony railings with glass, patched up the balcony concrete, and also did the windows and pipes. The latter two were MESSY jobs. However the installers did really shitty work with the window replacement -- I came home one day and my entire unit was covered in dust (they failed to cover my furniture, despite the building manager saying that would be done) and they had also left the space wide open after removing the originals, no plastic or tarp or anything tacked up; I'm lucky it was a nice week, but people on other levels fed birds so who knows what visitors I was getting lol. Next day it was done, and a day of cleaning took care of the dust. However, they also didn't seal the frames properly, and the sliders were not the greatest either. So our old drafty 1960s era windows became new drafty 2000s era windows, and they started keeping the temperature to the bare minimum in winter as well, justified by the new windows (the building had a central boiler with radiators tenants could not control). So much for "savings" through efficiency!