View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 1:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschall50 View Post
Honestly I can't believe this isn't landmarked. This building. In this location. By this architect.

This is a block from the old Penn Station and was designed by William Symmes Richardson of McKim Mead & White.

Looking at 111W57th, 9 Dekalb, and Hearst Tower, I'm disappointed to see what could have been an incredible old-meets-new proposal get crushed for another architecturally insignificant massing.
The massing was going to be a bulky tower, landmarking or not. But the building has been altered enough that it isn't landmark worthy. Just being old doesn't make something landmark worthy, it has to be of some significance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
That's not accurate. Because the HY was a vast wasteland of lots, it was a blank canvas that was created instantaneously in a vacuum. Simultaneously, parks were built, super high-end shops were built, etc. An isolated oasis of luxury arose spontaneously.

Those high end shops, and parks (which are still being built) came later. There was one lone tower built in the Hudson Yards, and the rest followed because OBVIOUSLY there was a plan to develop the area - a plan by the way that isn't even half complete. There are still areas of open lots and homeless encampments. You seem to think that the 15 Penn site exists in a vacuum. It does not. That's why buildings like 1 and 2 Penn exists. Why Vornado has been steady with it's leasing of other surroundings in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNYC View Post
Agree with NYguy.. this area might be dumpy, but it is prime, very busy with pedestrian and retail activity and will only get better once investments and build outs occur.

It's the prefect area location wise, above the busiest train station in the country.. which will be expanding greatly with Moynihan Station done and Empire Station on the way.

I question the total amount of office space that will be build out here in the next decade and a half, but the area will be a grand slam once completed.

I'd also want 15 Penn Plaza to be the grandest of towers in the City, not the turd that is planned.

To the tenants that occupy this tower, whatever design it may be, I'm sure it will be one of the best designed places to work (and commute).

But this area is beyond PRIME, it's been a great location for retail for that very reason.

https://34thstreet.org/neighborhood

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.