View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 5:37 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d
wow. i wouldn't want to be in the penthouse when there was a fire in that building!!
It's always had elevators.

BTW, it's my opinion that you could dirty it up even more and attached all kinds of communications equipment to the Book and it would still be one of the most beautiful buildings in Detroit. You just can't mess that thing up, IMO.

I find the Penobscot Building to have nice massing, but it's even to bland even for an Art Deco, IMO. It's a great, solid design and a great example of the style, but I'd hardly call it the most beautiful.

The Guardian is nice, and particularly the interior. I don't have much bad to say about it, at all. It's just about perfect.

The Fisher is just perfect, IMO, and my favorite. My only complaint is the location, and how so much has been torn down around it that it looks like it doesn't fit at its current location. New Center is unfinished, and looks it.

Another one of my favorites is the often forgotten David Stott. The proportions are near perfect, IMO (at least from most angles).

All photos of Allan:

At the end of the day, it says quite a lot about Detroit that we have so much to choose from, and those are just the talls.