View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
I have to say, the fact that we've all sort of bought into this developer kool aid with JSED is a bit disappointing. We spend page after page complaining about suburbia, Westgate, TempeMkplc, CityNorth, etc etc and then we beg for the same thing downtown in the name of preservation & "getting people to come downtown". As far as I can tell, Willo, FQ, and Roosevelt all were revived without a massive development project. It took creative individuals and help from the city. That is the same thing that needs to happen on Jackson.

No one on here wants to see the warehouses torn down. It seems clear enough to me that we have managed to salvage ... what, 6 large warehouses and turn them into something useful. We did all of that without House of Blues and RED. If individuals and smaller groups can create a 5 restaurant complex why can't someone else do a similar project? Places like Newbury Street in Boston were not made because some developer said "we've got Jamba Juice and H&M on board to come in and we're gonna turn a bunch of houses into shops." People converter those houses and made it into the place to be...then the corporations came calling, begging to get a piece of the action. That's the way it should work and that's what needs to and SHOULD happen with JSED.

I am just so opposed to this project now. After watching them ruin the center of our city for a fraction of what we were promised with CityScape, I will be damned if I am going to sit back and let them do the same with JSED. Just you watch, 4 months into the start of construction on any part of JSED it will be "determined" that several warehouses are "beyond repair" and they will be torn down. Carbon copies will be put up (much like the Stadium Lofts) and before we know it, the warehouse district will look like some cheesy nouveau riche playground like CityNorth.
look who we finally hear from. Where ya been, dick?

And I totally agree with you about the tearing down of buildings, though I forsee them never rebuilding them in any form. However, if we got ANY sort of CityNorth, I'd cry. That place is a pile of steaming doody.