View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2024, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickback256 View Post
Love the overall alignment. From a track maintenance perspective – I'd just as soon cut out that last 90º turn and build the potential station/EOL on the north side of Sunnyside, eating into the This Is The Place parking lot. Not only does it get you slightly closer to the front door, it would also significantly reduce noise associated with tight non-superelevated curves, which the zoo would probably prefer. Loud squealing every 7 or 8 minutes with arrivals and departures is a massive deterrent, for the visitors and particularly the animals. Plus, reducing the insane amount of rail and flange wear those tight curves produce is a real bonus. AND you save the zoo from having to relocate their maintenance facilities, while the only property sacrificed with a Sunnyside station is some extra parking. Of course, there's the issue of a better pedestrian crossing through Sunnyside, but I'm sure we could make something happen.
Excellent points I hadn't considered. I forgot about that squealing at the 90º turns. Definitely not good for the animals or guests. I had no idea about the wear on the rail and flanges, but it makes a lot of sense.

I appreciate your optimism toward getting a respectable pedestrian crossing.