View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 31, 2012, 1:28 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
For the ''gn'' sound, the only example that come in my head is the sound you could get when you say ''and you'' , but very fast ''N'you'' ... so the N+Y seems to make this sound in english when I pronounce it.

Speaking about some difficulties for english peoples in french, one of my Ontarian friend is simply not able to pronounce ''Longueuil'' ... same for Vaudreuil or Auteuil. I tried tons of time to teach him how to say that and he failed to say : Long-you-heel... Longweyeal lol . At least he tried !
I know the sound, I can pronounce all of those words. (I can even pronounce the q in Iqaluit correctly; it's like k but further back on the tongue.) It is hard to transcribe the sound since there is no

Longueuil (harder to spell than to say) is sort of like saying "lone gay" in a French accent.

You think it is absurd that it takes them four letters to represent that sound, but English has the ough thing. It makes 18 different sounds. And as I mentioned before I pronounce French R better than English R but I can't do that Spanish trilled R except when I pronounce "Fredrico". If I ever had a Spanish boyfriend named Fredrico I would pronounce his name perfectly.