View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 2:58 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Usually it's written as Macdonald, not MacDonald. For example it's the Angus L. Macdonald bridge.

There might be a bunch of spelling issues in general. Lee could be an English or Chinese surname (also sometime Li). Wong and be Wang, and then there's a variety of Chang/Chong/Chen/Cheug type names which I assume are all the same?

LeBlanc doesn't really surprise me for NB or NS. There are a lot of Anglophones in NS with French surnames whose ancestors in NS would have spoken French a few generations ago, along with some who are still Francophones. It's probably as much historically ethnically French (or other Francophones like French Swiss) as it is Scottish even post deportation.
Generally the people who put together these lists account for spelling issues, and Smith and Smyth are grouped together, as are Clarke and Clark, Arseneau and Arsenault and Arsenault, etc.

Another thing is that some groups have a lot of bunching up into only a small number of surnames. For example Sikhs with Singh, Koreans with Park or Kim or Vietnamese people with Nguyen.

I believe you have something like that going on with Acadians and a name like LeBlanc (Leblanc) and also Cormier. The anglo population of NB is bigger but has a greater surname diversity than the Acadians.

Another example is for example how in Montreal names like Nguyen and Patel make the top 10 list alongside names like Tremblay and Gagnon, whereas the Vietnamese and Indian communities are not really that big and probably don't even crack the top 10 in terms of ethnic groups.