View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 1:15 PM

Southern Metro Updates - New Bus Rapid Transit Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Looks like UVX may finally get a station on 900 East near the BYU Creamery:

UTA considering new UVX station
https://universe.byu.edu/2021/10/06/...w-uvx-station/

Public support seems higher than before, which isn't surprising since now most people have ridden the buses and can clearly see the obvious good. The only complaint that persists from the last time this was discussed is the elementary school across the street. Apparently bus stops are bad for kids, or something.
But now that won't be an issue any longer:

Provo School District to sell Wasatch Elementary to BYU in land swap deal
https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

With the elementary school moved 2 blocks east, and with BYU presumably building more student housing on the site, I think the last real roadblock to construction is finally gone.

You will remember that when the UVX line was being planned in 2012-ish, the BYU Creamery station was projected to attract twice the ridership of the next highest-used station on the line. Opposition from the tree streets neighborhood scared the politicians into cutting that station, which greatly annoyed me at the time. Back then I was a student at the Y studying Civil Engineering and Urban Transportation Design, and I had written a couple papers on the BRT line, including an analysis of ridership per station.

Now, 10 years later, it looks like logic and reason are about to prevail after all. And with the new performing arts building going up on 9th East, it only makes more sense now, maybe even enough to consider putting bus-only lanes on 9th and making the new station a median station, but that's probably pushing things too far. ������

Extending FrontRunner Commuter Rail Further South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahn View Post
UTA also recently finished up its study of transit in Southern Utah County. In contrast to the Tooele study, found a Frontrunner extension to be the most viable alternative.

The locally preferred alternative (LPA) will include an extension of Frontrunner from Provo to Payson with an express bus connection to Santaquin. A future extension of Frontrunner from Payson to Santaquin would follow in the future.

Compared with Tooele County, I think the fact that UTA has been laying the groundwork towards this line has made a difference. Recent work on the Tintic railroad means the corridor is ready.

Public comment on the LPA closes today, then possible modifications may be made before moving on to the environmental study portion.