View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm also a bit skeptical of narratives that assume that gay or trans individuals are exactly the same as anybody else in every way except for attraction or which of the two clearly-defined gender norms they pick. For example gay men are exactly the same as straight men except for the attraction to women vs. men. I think there is often some homophobia embedded in this view. In some cultures, gay or trans people were considered distinct and I don't think that's necessarily less correct than the more conventional framing popular in Western society today. Decades ago some early gay activists also lobbied for something like acknowledgement of gays or lesbians as being distinct genders, partly to qualify for protections against sex discrimination. That view has really dropped off the radar but it's interesting from a historical perspective.
Is that the narrative? I think it's that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their gender or orientation or race and so forth.