View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont bob View Post
Let’s face it, there was little if any effort to save some of the beautiful old school buildings, LAHS is the best example. Much easier to replace them with a factory.
"Easier"? Follow the money. Who benefits? Demo, regrading, construction, fittings, furniture even re-landscaping. The bigger the project the more can be stolen. The more public financing involved, the greater the transference of wealth. There's plenty of money to be made, kickbacks to be paid and cost overruns to be excused. Our kids end up in crappy buildings instead of beautiful, gracious ones, with a huge cost in quality of life, building resentment.

Kids know what's going on, even if they don't know the details. They're learning all the time, even when we don't want them to. The environments adults create for them equals what we think of them.

A currently we're graduating less than half of our students. An efficient way to destroy a city.

"Behind every great fortune lies a great crime." (or a series of them)
-Honore de Balzac

OK, sorry, I'm soap-boxing again. LAUSD is just a huge sore spot with me. I need a couple of 65 cent Scarlet O'Haras (and an afternoon in Ferguson Alley).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
More Arnold Hylen

california state library
GREAT pics kz! Do you have a location for the one above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Tovangar, Mitchell was my drama teacher! we are doing a drama reunion performance of RENT in June,did your kids go to uni between 97 and 01? I've only seen a few pictures of the interior but i wish some color pictures were available. And i fully agree with Stivelman,its small,ugly and not a great place for a school that has 2000+ students.
1997-2006 I think. (brain's going...I'm old enough to be my kids' grandparent). The last one would have graduated in 2008, but she graduated two years early. The first boy only went freshman year, then left for Queen of Angels and graduated early a year later. Middle two boys graduated two years early but stayed the whole four years for the theater program, graduating again in '03 and '06 (the latter year the same the youngest left). No wonder I'm confused.

There were 2600+ students at Uni. I can't find a current total on the Uni web site.

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM. Reason: add image