View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 2:27 AM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I wonder why they never added an observation deck in the top. It would give great views of the Chrysler and other towers in East Midtown. Not to mention a great view of Park Avenue and the future projects around it. It even has a large floor plan like the GE. Just wondering if it could ever be done.

did you know the building previously had helicopter service to Pan Am's terminal at John F. Kennedy International Airport, a 7-to-10-minute flight from the rooftop helipad. The New York Airways Vertol 107 flights lasted from December 21, 1965, to February 18, 1968; Sikorsky S-61 flights operated for a few months in 1977, ending after an accident atop the building killed five people.

On May 16, 1977, about one minute after a Sikorsky S-61L landed and its 20 passengers disembarked, the right front landing gear collapsed, causing the aircraft to topple onto its side with the rotors still turning.

One of the five 20-foot blades broke off and flew into a crowd of passengers waiting to board. Three men, including film director Michael Findlay, were killed instantly and another man died later in a hospital.

The blade sailed over the side of the building and killed a pedestrian on the corner of Madison Avenue and 43rd Street. Two other people were seriously injured.

SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks