View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 1:29 PM

The "Downtown Revitalization" point was the real head-scratcher for me. "Progressive city planning" is not something that generally happens in Hamilton. When there are some examples of it, it's usually a lot less "progressive" than Hamiltonians think- at the best of times, we're decades behind the leading cities, and years behind our neighbours.

The list says "The new MacNab terminal created an efficient place for public transit while also opening a new opportunity in Gore Park for it to act as a more solidified public space rather than simply a transit terminal." Well, I think you could make a real case that the MacNab terminal was not what it could have been, and it seems like LRT (depending on how things are organized) might make it irrelevant. As for Gore Park, maybe the "opportunity" is there, but it hasn't been seized. On the contrary, our council is allowing a significant part of that public space to rot...

I think that, a lot of these types of lists are written by people who don't much get down to MacNab or the Gore. I think that there are a lot of realists in Hamilton, but that realism and experience has led them to temper their expectations- especially of council.

There are far too many optimists, or however they should be characterized- people who think things are going great and that the work is done.