View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Re the Apple car, it is reportedly being worked on with Kia, a brand wholly controlled by Hyundai. It would also be made in the USA if it goes to market. Hyundai is worried about the possible implications to their top tier brand on the Apple car partnership.

Sony also has a future car concept with a real world prototype that some people are advocating for them to turn into a go to market product. It is currently just a test bed for different technology Sony is working on to sell to other manufacturers.

In terms of the USA plan, I doubt they convert 100% of the fleet to pure EVs. The military, Homeland security, the Secret Service, FBI, CIA, Parks, Forestry, etc will all have valid use cases that mean pure EVs are not viable.

Take the CIA for example, imagine being a field agent in a country with near zero EVs and being told by a poorly thought through US policy that you need to use a pure EV. Your cover could quickly be blown by that. Forestry, Parks and Homeland security often work in remote areas and can't stop to wait for their EV to charge.

I think the best might be say 80% EV, then a mix of hybrids and pure ICE/diesel based on functional requirements.
Good points. Those will likely be the later adopting departments as the technology becomes more widespread and reliable, and as availability of gas stations start to dwindle.

I could imagine the military would be the last to adopt it to replace their armoured transports and assault vehicles, although there might be a case for a quieter running vehicle that doesn't produce detectable emissions, if EV gets to equivalent power/durability as diesel.