View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:57 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Not really. They were poor arguments back then, and now they have mostly been abandoned even by the climate change deniers.

Yes, for EVs to be fully emissionless they need to be powered from emission free electricity, and built from emission free factories. But that is possible, and is a problem that can be dealt with separately from the transport emission problem. If we stick with gas vehicles, they can never be made carbon neutral (except by direct air carbon capture).

And if you're in Canada, and especially Manitoba, there's a good chance you're not "moving the emissions elsewhere", even today.
You seem to avoid debating the points.

I am not a climate change denier, but I am also not a blind EV fanboy.

All things being equal, what is the difference in the net energy input to building, maintaining powering and operating EVs versus ICEs?

I would argue, the amount of energy required is probably similar between the two, and we are mostly changing where that energy is burned.

I am not saying its a bad thing, but we need to move away from considering EVs to being this ideal of zero emissions. It's not all that accurate.

And yeah, MB has lots of hydro power to go around, but lets not pretend the vast of the world has access to relatively affordable green power.