View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 11:03 AM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The number who live in a place isn't the same as the number who want to.

Likewise the expensive cities probably have more want-tos (if cost wasn't an issue) than actual residents.
There was just some interesting discussion going around about just this: Basically, it may not be that people are moving less than before, but that, in past decades, moving may just have been more attractive or necessary for various reasons (eg. marriage, career necessities).

Maybe there are just fewer regional differences than we'd like to think? I don't know.

People have some stickiness in their choices, I suppose. It's another reason why so few Americans move abroad? In fact, I'd think that would be true of most people anywhere, which is why the punitiveness of immigration laws seems silly to me.

But ultimately, it's a big reason why I think mass transport is so important; particularly, a functioning, national, passenger rail network: It probably works to mute the psychological impact of moving great distances because it lowers the costs of traveling?

Then again, maybe there's something to be said about the manner in which cities cluster v. disperse in various countries.

Interesting topic.

Anyways, I live in the NYC metro area, and turned down a job in Anchorage even though I was pretty interested in the idea of living there, have no family nor a home, and the pay would have been better.

Plenty of tiny - and honestly, major - inconveniences tho...Maybe one day I'll revisit the idea.