View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As I've said before, I don't see why under this mantra that anglophones should have *any* say in the situation of French, and what should or should not be done to protect it.

And yet every day on Twitter there are 10,000 messages from non-francophone Canadians giving their opinion (and you know what it tends to be) about *my* language. That they generally don't even speak a word of.
Fortunately for Francophones in this country, they dominated population-wise in a certain portion of the country and were able to retain (albeit imperfectly for much of their history) much of their culture on their own terms. They even had a say at the top leadership levels of the country for much of its history (see: Wilfrid Laurier, Louis St-Laurent, etc.)

Even the British - not exactly the most delicate of masters - had to yield some concessions.

Indeed, Quebec now determines its own fate, mostly. To the point of having the option of telling the rest of the country to go pound sand, as they nearly did in 1995.

The Indigenous peoples of Canada were far too thinly spread and dissociated to mount anywhere near as effective as a campaign for their rights. So, of course, the government ran roughshod over them.

The degree of cultural genocide matters.

Aside: Do brand names count for translation purposes? I seem to recall 'Canadian Tire' stores in Quebec, not "Pneu Canadien".