View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 12:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yes, that would be a problem.

fortunately, the human brain is a phenomenally adaptive organ.

the el trains rolling down our alley kept me awake at times for about the first two weeks after we moved in. my wife took a little longer to adjust, about a month or so. our kids seemed unfazed by it.

it helps that the el noise is a deep rumbling thunder-type sound which, while loud, can be much easier for the brain to block out than the more piercing sounds of an ambulance siren, for example.
One of my apartments in Boston was across the street from a Green Line surface T stop. At that intersection, pedestrians and Boston drivers [which, let's admit it, suck] would constantly block the tracks when the T had the signal to proceed.

Instead of the polite trolley "ding ding" you would get the conductor blaring the train horn. Leaning on the horn for 5, 10, 15 seconds. This would happen at 5:30am, 11:30pm -- basically anytime the T was operating.

Like you said, the first 2 weeks, it would wake me up, afterwards I could sleep through anything, including a fire alarm. The FD was in the building by the time I got up and evacuated.