View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:40 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
it seems that the only real logical argument for edmonton is the prince rupert port...capacity at prince rupert however is only a fraction of vancouver...certainly not enough to justify an kind of super hub in edmonton.

sure, they have some air route advantages, but really how much cargo is carried by air?...in comparasin to ship it is also a fraction.

since edmoton is so remote, it would seem illogical to drag cargo from vancouver all the way up to edmonton and then back down to the world....

in my mind edmonton's big advantage is a provincial government that can spend whatever it wants on whatever it wants....any obstacle can be overcome by money.

All the money in the world won't move Edmonton closer to large US markets.

Winnipeg's biggest advantage is its location. Its centred on Canada's east-west corridor... and it is on one of the busiest north-south corridors on the continient.

I definatly see Edmonton having a bright future servicing Prince Rupert ... while Winnipeg will continue to act the dominant transportation hub in central Canada. The Inland Port Status gives Winnipeg much greater links to and from Asia/Europe and the States.

Last edited by newflyer; Sep 25, 2008 at 4:35 AM.