View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 31, 2005, 11:28 PM
I ate your kids. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103
Just to expand on what I said earlier, this level of condo development for a city of less than 100,000 is quite impressive. Most downtowns of american cities this size are neglected completly and dont have much hope of being revitalized on the residential level. I have looked at several city photo threads of Wilmington and I must say it is one of the best smaller cities I have seen in terms of urbanity and a big city feel.
Wilmington is a very atypical area. It was built with the same materials as Baltimore and Philadelphia, by the same architects, in the same infrastructure (rowhomes, squares, parkways).
Although tiny, it has always held it's own in terms of it's rock solid economy and long history.

Even though the city is in the "small city" category (under 100k), it's independent metro area is considered a "large metropolitan area" by the census. This isn't counting Philadelphia. The tiny city's dense old suburbs give way to typical suburbs, mcmansions, including exurbs over 20 miles away from the city center.

Although people have never heard of the city itself, Greater Wilmington is twice the size of "larger cities" metros like Anchorage, AK, Tallahassee, FL, and equally as large, or bigger than Toledo, Ohio or Little Rock, Arkansas. They get large black dots on maps, while Wilmington won't even appear as a tiny blip.

Because of this scenario, it is a very "incognito" city 20 miles away from the 5th largest city in the country that is so immersed in Philly culture and commuting pattern, it has a dual-identity. A Philly metro identity, and the identity of the largest city/hub in its state. It's very ambiguous for people who live in the area how to classify the area. Almost to the point of an identity dilemma.

But anyway.. it's a cool small town/small city/large metro/satellite city/suburb of Philadelphia (Call it whatever. Each one is arguable).

Last edited by Joey D; Aug 31, 2005 at 11:43 PM.