View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Lakeview is much denser (really all the northern lakefront neighborhoods are denser than LP)
By what metric? I'd be interested to see your stats. This source shows Lincoln Park as the same (very high/highest) as the rest of the northern lakefront neighborhoods: https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...4eb7b70af99ed4

Quote:
Where else in Chicago would be a better analogue to the Yonge corridor, north of downtown (i.e. wealthy, established, WASPy core residential)? If you don't like LP as a comparison, offer a better example. Maybe Gold Coast, but to me that's more or less downtown.
I don't mind the comparison, I simply said it was wrong to not consider Lincoln Park dense, urban, heavily visited or culturally relevant.

We've already seen it is dense and urban. It's also heavily visited; although it isn't an exact science, the City of Chicago released ride hailing data for all community areas (number of drop offs/pick ups for Uber, Lyft, Via, etc.) Lincoln Park was #7 in drop offs--out of 77 total community areas.

https://data.cityofchicago.org/d/m6d.../visualization

As for cultural relevance, agian that depends on who you ask. Are you simply going off of number of restaurant reservations? Number of establishments that serve alcohol? Total number of theater seats? Total number of museums? What's the measure? It's got the city zoo, one of the largest urban university campuses in the country, a major theater, some of the worlds top dining, shopping, etc.

I don't live in Lincoln Park and probably never would--I don't fit the demographic that looks for things like college bars or women's boutiques... plus I couldn't afford it if I DID want to... But it seems strange to call Lincoln Park anything BUT urban, dense, culturally relevant, and heavily visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Gotta agree with Crawford here.

Perhaps Lincoln Park was the "in" neighborhood decades ago, but it long ago lost that and has slowly settled into becoming a wealthy enclave full of mansions, high end shops, boutiques, restaurants, etc.

Whatever density there used to be has declined as 2/3/6 flats have been demo'd and replaced by SFHs. The NIMBYism is legendary, and it only grows worse.

Are there some bars? Sure, but I can't imagine that LP is anything but WAY past its heyday as a center of nightlife. And other than some restaurants and a few major theatres (Steppenwolf) I just don't think LP is much of a destination for out of towners.

The nightlife is further north in Lakeview, and much of it appears to have migrated back downtown to River North and the West Loop/Randolph St area.

The Weed St nightclub district that I used to hang out in also appears to be gone, or at least a shadow of its former self. Wasn't that also technically in LP?
I would not call Lincoln Park THE in neighborhood by any means, but I don't think any neighborhood outside of Gold Coast/Loop is denser or more urban with the same blocks-long, unbroken street walls with little to no retail vacancy. It may not be the cultural hub of the city (outside of the Big 10 college crowd I'm not sure it ever was) but there aren't many neighborhoods that match its accessibility and built environment, and even few that exceed it. I would imagine out of towners visit Lincoln Park (DePaul Campus, the Zoo, middle ground between Wrigley and downtown hotels) much more often than they do, say, Logan Square, which is a much more "culturally relevant" at this point to many Chicagoans.