View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Not sure if it was posted here already, but new to me. Saw this on Madison yesterday, at Carpenter. Going by the name Madison + Carpenter. 4/5 BR condos at 1.75m to 3.5m—sales info at the domain sixnorthcarpenter.com. Would have expected a development like this on perhaps a quieter corner.
Even though this looks kind of 'imitation' International Style, I like it. The mass is nicely broken up and it's a good mix of materials that strikes a good balance between the appearance of delicacy and that of strength.

To me, it's a good example of how big, academic ideas eventually trickle out into the larger local culture, forming a vernacular (the length of time they stick around serving as a testament to the value of the idea). Like how terra cotta companies in the early 20th C imitated Sullivan's ornament and it ended up on numerous quotidian commercial buildings throughout the city.

I don't know what's with that superfluous "halo" on the top, though; is this the Modern equivalent of the gable end with no roof behind it?

I also noticed the price point vis-à-vis the location -- seemingly a loud corner for $1.75MM and up. (I guess the floor plan is so large you can escape into its depths for some quiet time?) Heady times in the West Loop...