View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 6:45 PM
Squint Like Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillJames View Post
Charlotte's downtown is literally at the top of a hill. It's first streetcar suburb, Dilworth, was down the hill from down town and residents would literally say they were going "up-town."

The phrase fell out of favor and then was resurrected in the 1980's as a marketing ploy. The phrase uptown and downtown in Charlotte are one in the same, they are interchangeable and refer to the CBD inside the 277 loop.
Thanks for the info. The more I learn about Charlotte the more I like it. It seems like a lot of good things are going on there, such as the huge amount of residential projects UC or proposed in the uptown area (more density). Plus that new light rail line the city recently added is a huge plus. The area is obviously very beautiful (lots of trees, etc.) and I've also heard from various people that Charlotte is a really cool place to live too so maybe I'll get a chance to check it out myself someday!