View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 4:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Ottawa Street Station is among my favorites and has interesting brickwork, which creates a color change. Bailey Power Plant was originally an 1880s building that was expanded over and over. Bailey's remaining buildings are from 1926-1949, giving Bailey Power Plant a Streamline Moderne style. I don't think any of the original 1880s buildings, built by the Baileys, are still standing? I looked into other power plants and have noticed many of them became office buildings. I think Austin's will become an office building with a restaurant? Bailey Power Plant is planned as an entertainment centerpiece for the IQ District. They are calling it the “iconic spiritual center” of the IQ District. This is great, because anyone can walk into Bailey Power Plant and see the building, while having fun. They have made it clear they want a movie theatre in the building. I know River Run Film Festival is in need of more venues downtown.

All images credited to Cross Street Partners.

You can see the movie reel signs for the upscale movie theatre concept they want in their building.

According to the team from Baltimore that is working on it, it "will" include restaurants, a cinema, flexible office space, the world's largest kaleidoscopes (using smokestacks), the smokestacks may also have sculptural art over them, a conference center and maybe a bowling alley. Optional uses they are considering include an innovation center, entertainment venues (a dance troupe is close to leasing space for a dance theatre), and a museum (possibly SciWorks).

Cobblestone Market is talking with them about opening an urban grocery store in the Morris Building on the southwest corner of the Bailey Power Plant property. You can see part of the word "grocery" on the building in the photograph above.

Bailey Park @ East End will use the original electrical pylons on the park site as art work in the park.

Here are the plans. All five floors of it! Note the theatre is a fixed item labeled over retail and also includes the theatre lobby. Also, did you see the Future Phase in the floor plans below? There aren't any buildings there. That would be new construction.

Last edited by Matthew; Apr 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM.