View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 9:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

This was posted by someone named aquaticko over on SSC. I thought I would post it here because I couldn't have said it any better:

Quote:
To put these numbers in perspective, the entirety of the first phase of the project could double in cost--go from $64B to $128B--and still cost less than 5% of one year of California's GDP (~2.7 trillion in 2017). Considering that construction is projected to take about 13 years, and 13x2717=35,321, and 128/35,321=.0036, and therefore the annual cost of the project over the duration of construction will cost less than one-half of 1% of California's GDP, the state can easily afford this.

And this is only really a "cost" if one assumes that the alternative is to not spend anything on California's transportation infrastructure over the next 13 years--which is not actually an option.

I'm politically biased, but not geographically biased (I'm from faraway NH), and I can't help but think, over and over again, that opposition to this project is based far more on ideology than practicality.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding