View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I for one find this phenomenon a very "Chicago" thing, something I haven't really seen elsewhere. It creates a lot of housing variety, allowing for privacy while still having dwellings that properly address the street. My only beef is what lengths this city goes to to accommodate the car.
Eh, that's a pretty big beef to have if you ask me.

Moreover, cities should not be difficult to navigate; getting from point A to point B should be as easy as possible. Certainly, in many older cities, layers of historic architecture have been built around transit routes developed according to a more esoteric logic (at least by contemporary standards), and a more navigable city wouldn't necessarily be worth the destruction/reorganization. (Haussmann and his fans might beg to differ, of course.) But, IMO, there's not much of value in many former CHA lands even being sacrificed.

There are other considerations, too, like taking a public good and turning it into a de facto private one, which happens enough in Chicago even without adding a bunch of no outlet streets to the mix...