View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The developer definitely could have done better here, and it's disappointing that they didn't.

But it's also unfortunate how the municipality seems to be asleep at the wheel when it comes to the quality of materials used on the exterior of new buildings. This has been true for years and years. I remember when the Marriott hotel on Argyle Street was proposed, it was described as a "brick and sandstone" building that would resemble heritage buildings downtown. But it was cheaply built and is unattractive. I'm not sure municipal politicians and bureaucrats of the day were able to tell the difference, or if they ever showed up in person to look at it.
I agree. If a developer is building in the downtown, his prime concern should be quality of materials and quality of design.

When the municipal election campaigners came to the door last year I suggested that it would be wise if Council switched its focus to quality instead of height when approving projects.

The Keep is an example of a local project more concerned with quality and which will be using precast with real brick.