View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

JScott posted this photo last October:

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/4037/rec/19

It gives you a good view of the Los Angeles Warehouse building

Taix French Restaurant and Pioneer Truck Company are also nearby.
I did spot that the LA Warehouse Co was across the street from the Taix French restaurant, but forgot to mention it in my post - thanks for reminding me, FredH, and also for finding a much better picture of the building than the one I found.

In the background of that picture, an attractive building in the shadow of one of the smaller gasometers caught my eye.

USC Digital Library

Looking at the Baist maps, I found it was a public school. Being on Amelia Street, it was the Amelia Street School.

www.historicmapworks.com

A quick Google didn't turn up much information, so here are the listings I found in the City Directories for the Amelia Street School. I don't know the streets in the first entry, but after that they all point to roughly the same location. It looks like Amelia Street became N Garey around 1939, even though the north and south sections never meet.

1886-87, "bet Lazart and Weill", principal: Miss Libbie Snyder.
1894, "Amelia near Jackson", principal: Sylvanus A Waldron.
1898, "bet Turner and Jackson", principal: William W Tritt.
1900-01, "Amelia nr Jackson", principal: Mrs Estelle B Smith.
1909 & 1911, "Amelia ne cor Jackson", no principal listed.
1915, "410 Amelia", principal: Mary A Henderson.
1917 & 1918, "410 Amelia", no principal listed.
1921 & 1923, "410 Amelia", no principal listed, now a "Day and Evening" school.
1926, 1927, 1929 & 1932, "410 Amelia", no principal listed.
1936 & 1938, "611 Jackson", principal: Mrs Mabel S Colerick.
1939, as above, although address is also listed as "410 N Garey".
1942, "407 Vignes", no principal listed.

I thought the school was missing from the 1936 CD, but the entry was spelled "Amelia Streeet [sic] School"!

In one of the posts above, MichaelRyerson liked the name Clinton J. Sovereign. I smiled when I saw that one of the Amelia Street School's teachers in 1898 was called Mrs Alice B Sturdy - I wonder if she was.

I don't know when the school closed, but there are no listings after 1942. The site is now occupied by a couple of nondescript buildings with blank walls. A sign on the gate (inset) says that it still belongs to the Los Angeles Unified School District and is now used for their Beyond the Bell after-school program.

Google Earth