View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
First of all, why the hell are you being so nasty about this? I'm nasty, but at designers/developers, never at other posters. If you can't see why the continued handouts from the City without any compromises to the community is offensive to some, fine. Buildings like Circles aren't mentioned in NYC or Chicago because these cities haven't had their history erased. But, they also don't hand out GPLETs like candy to developers who then destroy meaningful structures. If you think there isn't preservation fights in NYC, you are quite mistaken.

"...because people are desperate to pretend is some iconic gem..." is really insulting and plain wrong. Your entire point is invalidated by the fact that you've somehow come to the conclusion that its use as a Record store has ANY part in this discussion. It was built as part of Phoenix's auto row, as was DeSoto's. Do you think now that DeSoto should've been leveled? It's the lack of knowledge re: Phoenix's history that comes as a result of wiping out buildings like this that make people inclined to save it. There's no Chinatown or Deuce left; your common Phoenician would have no idea that either existed. The same will happen as the last remnants of Auto Row are demolished. Every demolition erases a piece of downtown's past life as the retail center of Phoenix and feeds into the "but it's a NEW city!" line of thinking that has taken over as people migrated to AZ.

More importantly, the art scene is gradually shifting toward Grand Ave and as DeSoto and countless reuse projects have shown, Roosevelt Row is a great mix of eclectic buildings that together do form a story and provide affordable space. Losing Roosevelt Row as the premier place for artists downtown is a major loss, but is inevitable as the City refuses to ask developers for affordable housing or preservation in return for GPLETs. I don't want or expect the entire thing preserved. But I think a decent portion could be maintained beyond the window, and given that the tower has a giant hole in it, suggesting the tower be tightened up is obviously not that outrageous of an ask. I also think the tower itself is completely hideous and uninspired; again, a more modern tower with glass and curves that complemented the building's features would look much better than slapping a traditional box on top of a contemporary building.
DeSotot looks nice, Circles looks like shit