View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 8:02 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
Paul Cunningham is the Chairman of the Boise Airport Commission, not the President of the Airport. The Commission is an Advisory Board to the Mayor & City Council.

Yes, Mayor Bieter was referring to Air Cargo, and none of those markets mentioned has run out of cargo capacity as of yet. It will be some time before considerable progress is made in this area of potential growth.

There are several opportunities for new or returning air service at Boise Airport in 2012. Stay tuned!
Thanks for the correction. The title didn't immediately come to me, and I was in the middle of class, so I was in a rush.

I know a lot less about cargo operations than I do about passenger operations, but from what I do know, I would think there is a lot of potential for air cargo growth in the valley. The airport isn't currently congested (especially once the 3rd runway is complete), the climate is great meaning few delays, the location is great, we're not in an area where the skies are overcrowded, and there's endless space to grow.

What I'm very curious to see is some of the new or returning air service you mention. From everything I've heard, American's service to Los Angeles is at least doing well enough that they're looking at Los Angeles to Spokane. I wonder if American would try Dallas/Ft. Worth to Boise again, especially now that they have the CRJ-700s with First. I doubt United/Continental would try Boise to Houston again. I understand that route was successful for a few years, but I'd figure they'd rather funnel that traffic through Denver and Chicago. It would be fantastic to have a link between Boise and Texas again.

But what I'm most interested in is the battle for market share between Southwest and Alaska/Horizon here, and how that will change the air service dynamic here. It would be my dream to see AS/QX rebuild their operations to the level of a large focus city, similar to what they had from 1995-2002.

Route map from October 2002: