View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 6:55 PM

I'm no traffic engineer, but this seems like a miserable solution to the left turn problem at lights. I watched the animation linked in the article and couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. If I came up to a light and the turn arrow was flashing yellow, I'd probably think it was broken and just sit there until it turned green again. What do the rest of you think?

Salt Lake City motorists to test new left-turn traffic signal
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 03/14/2007 12:34:58 PM MDT

Posted: 12:37 PM- Salt Lake City and the Utah Department of Transportation are trying out a new left-turn signal.
This one will give motorists a flashing yellow arrow allowing them to turn if there's no oncoming traffic.
The new traffic signals have four arrows in the left-turn lane, red, green, yellow and flashing yellow. They will be installed at 800 South and 1300 East; Sunnyside Avenue (800 South) and Guardsman Way (1580 East); and Sunnyside Avenue and Arapeen Way (2210 East) .
The signals are part of a pilot project for the Federal Highway Administration, which is looking at amending standards for left-turn signals. The agency hopes the new turn arrows eliminate motorist confusion about whether current signals that feature a round green light gives them a safe turn against oncoming traffic and about a simultaneous round red light and a green arrow. The new configuration also gives drivers more opportunities for a left-hand turn.
For an animated view of how the yellow lights work, go to: http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/flash...l_solution.swf