View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I opened this thread thinking it meant tears of joy. Which would be weird.

No skylines “make me cry”. Paris would be the most perfectly formed urban landscape in the world without a single building over 8 stories tall (in fact possibly improved for it).

It’s new cities full of cheap painted concrete and autocentric development which, while they don’t make me cry, make me dismayed about the generally low standards that people today have with respect to just about everything. And it’s only going to get worse as humans continue to overbreed.
Precisely, there are too many people like yourself in Paris.
I have respect for you, your oh-so-precious Englishness/Frenchness (even though you probably can't speak Fr), your points, the things you know about and everything, but what the heck?

Building taller is just better at the moment. Do you realize that we'd never have invented any 2-story home by following that kind of maniac point?
It makes me think of French cashiers complaining because of robots that work 24/7 to replace them.
But hey, human cashiers actually have (currently wasted) brains and can do much better things. I know it's sometimes hard to believe, still, it is true.
It's only all about psychological conditioning.

Speaking of which, following your kind of logic, Gutenberg would've been crucified for having developed printing press - which is yet obviously a greatest blessing in human history - because back then, medieval copistes (English: 'amanuensis'?) would find themselves unemployed. Fired!
We probably wouldn't have invented any wheel yet... Jesus Christ, won't you ever bow to evolution sometime? Cause it's good for us all, right?

And "human overbreeding" is mostly due to people who never heard of contraception in poor countries. Hell, they can't even afford any birth control pill.
So now you know what to do of your charity.

Paris' skyline makes me cry because it is wayyyy underwhelming, far below our city's actual wealth.
Skyscrapers are going to allow us to manage more gardens and greenery at street/ground level; just everything we need over here.
It's quite simple. You pile up people in taller buildings, the richer going to the most comfortable penthouses, that's also what is disturbing to many for now, then you get more free room at ground level.
That we badly need over here. It is hotter and hotter in the summer, so we need more trees for people to find shelters in the streets, so that they don't die from heat under the crushing sun. Just like in Spain. The Spaniards have known for long about this.

43.6°C/110.5°F in Saint-Maur-des-Fossés, Val-de-Marne in late July; highest record ever over the Paris region just a month ago, in late July.
My home is in Maisons-Alfort neighboring Saint-Maur, so it must've been just as hot over here.
Thankfully, I was off and away. Temperatures like that are unbearable locally, in this dense environment. Our place wasn't designed for unbreathable summers.
A/C won't be enough to face it. We need much much more greenery, hence skyscrapers to plant more trees in street-level gardens.