View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
W/r/t the Sixers Penns Landing arena proposal:

W. T. A. F.

From the DWRC's perspective, it is almost certainly objectively a bad proposal. With all the money they're investing into that new waterfront park, they want some condo towers there, not a massive, hulking arena. Plus, while there are some examples of arenas being used to catalyze neighboring developments -- see the Staples Center in LA, for example -- the Penn's Landing site only really has space for ... the arena. And nothing else.

The way the DWRC responded to the proposal -- "Just put it in the pile with the other ones" -- also communicates to me they're not really taking it all that seriously. If the Sixers really want a dedicated arena so desperately, they'd be better off taking the block formerly occupied by the Vet and developing on that (which also allows for Staples Center-esque ancillary development at Pattison AT&T NRG I Give Up station).
As far as I'm aware, the Sixers did not participate in the RFP process, and are just trying to strong-arm themselves in because they think they can because they're the Sixers. You're exactly correct. Even considering the proposal is a massive FU to all the people who actually spent a lot of time and effort to participate in the RFP process. This is dead in the water and I don't even know why the Sixers would even think this is remotely a good location for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Hell no. That building is a treasure.
I think you could (and should) preserve the facade. Would be interesting to have that on a stadium.