View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Another question: since you mentioned starting in one area, saturating it, then moving on, what amount of geographic area have people found to be successful for an initial start of a program like this?

For instance if PHX were to ever pursue this I imagine putting B Cycle stations at/near LRT stations would be a good way to start. But the Phoenix segment of the line is about 14 miles long and about 24 stations.

My thought was perhaps what would be best for Phoenix's case would be to saturate the square 1.5 mile that makes up downtown and additionally the LRT line to start. Though perhaps having only Bike sharing stations at LRT stops that don't have other bike stations nearby would be an issue.

For phoenix I would start by the university and surrounding areas.

Exact locations would depend on off-campus housing, and points of interest (supermarket, street with bars etc)

And thats where Id stop. Phoenix just isnt set up for bike share. And Im not talking about the weather, just the gross distances and lack of density.

As for the general question...it varies.

I suggest looking at this website

http://oobrien.com/vis/bikes/?city=mexicocity

toggle between the cities to see how concentrated the stations are. Look at the usage to see if it's successful or not.

I believe it is 4am in London and 190 bikes are in use.

11pm and 3 in use in DC