View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Oof. Window wall and pre-cast concrete on the Gehry Tower. Value Engineering at it's finest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Yeah, looks awful, but we've known that since the renderings. Probably going to end up being Gehry's worst project.

I'd be living in lala land if I didn't think what is going on throughout major cities around the nation & world was somehow not occurring in dtla too. if gehry's design & the grand avenue proj end up being as weak as you imply, that may be the least of the problems upcoming in the next few yrs.

I hope I'm wrong.

Quote:
“Everybody freaked out,” said Carole Husiak, who's lived in Stuyvesant Town-Peter Cooper Village for 28 years. For the first time, she isn’t paying her rent. “My income screeched to a halt," Husiak added.

Stuytown residents say the vast majority of departing tenants left NYC entirely because of the pandemic. Average rental prices fell eight percent from April to May in Manhattan, five percent in Brooklyn and two percent in Queens, according to Miller Samuel Inc.

"We were unable to keep up with all my expenses. My business closed for three months and my income closed for three months,” she told NY1.

Husiak took up the owner’s coronavirus crises offer to pay one month’s rent with her security deposit and defer another month’s payment into the future.

"That made it much more reasonable and took my stress level way down,” said Husiak.

“The moving vans everywhere, all day long… people are running away,” said one resident. “They don’t want to stay, they are afraid [of] the health problems … and the rent is high. People lost their jobs. They can’t pay that rent.”

“Just a lot of furniture moving all around and a lot of furniture being thrown out,” said another.

The tenants association said in March the management company had roughly 150 vacancies listed and now there are more than double that, plus another 150 that aren’t even listed yet.

“I would say there’s a minimum of 500 vacant apartments,” said Steinberg.

“The outbound migration pattern is clearly citywide,” said real estate appraiser Jonathan Miller of Miller Samuel Inc. Miller has tracked the Manhattan vacancy rate for fourteen years and says it’s nearly doubled to 2.88%, the highest he’s ever seen here.

not gonna end on a down note....this isn't legal in the city of LA on july 4th or other days...normally most of this can be seen only at officially allowed firework shows....but the human spirit lives on in spite of killjoy restrictions....maybe that spirit will come though in dtla & that part of LA won't be in a rut for the next 5-10 yrs as it has been during many yrs of the past 60-90 yrs.

Video Link